Since the TV ban in the O’Shea house hold my little man has decided he LOVES to cook!!! Whether it’s cutting veggies for soup, stirring pots of porridge for breakfast or even better…. stirring the mixture for chocolate brownies……
I found this recipe on an amazing paleo blog called Eat Drink Paleo. These are a rich yet light chocolate brownie. They are paleo and sugar free – except I put a 85% cocoa chocolate ganache on top. But for a sugar free ganache option you can always use coconut oil, cacao and a little maple syrup.
- 1 medium raw white sweet potato, peeled and grated (using the larger holes of the grater) – 2 to 2 1/2 cups of shredded sweet potato
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of raw honey, melted in the microwave if it’s too thick
- generous 1/2 cup of virgin olive oil
- 1 heaped tbsp of gluten free baking powder
- ½ tbsp of baking soda
- 1 cup cacao (reduce that amount if you prefer a milder chocolate flavour)
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- Preheat oven to 185 °C
- Combine grated sweet potato, eggs, vanilla, honey and olive oil in a large mixing bowl and stir together until well incorporated. Then add baking powder and baking soda and stir. Add cacao powder, mix and finally add coconut flour. Avoid adding too much coconut flour as it will absorb too much moisture which will result in drier brownies.
- After stirring everything together, pour the mixture into a baking tray greased with a little olive oil. Approx 1 inch thick
- Cook for 25-30 minutes. Remove the tin and cool for 5-10 minutes before carefully removing the brownie cake form the tin. You can cut it in quarters and remove one part at a time if the bottom stick a little. Leave the brownie cake to cool down before cutting.
- Finally, melt some dark chocolate in a bowl over boiling water or in a microwave. Use a spatula to drizzle and spread melted chocolate over the top. Slice into individual serving squares. You can also top them with raspberries or strawberries.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25-30 minutes
Number of servings: about 12